Fibroid also known as myomas, uterine fibroids or leiomyomas; are abnormal growths (usually tumors) in the uterus. Fibroids are made of tissues or muscles formed in the uterine walls. They can be caused by hormonal fluctuations (mainly excessive production of estrogen). Which, triggers abnormal growth of cells, and then development of fibroids.
Reports have it that the prevalence of women with fibroids is about 80% and are more likely to develop this condition if there is a family history. Symptoms of fibroids include infertility (difficulty in conceiving), miscarriages, heavy menstrual bleeding, pain, anemia, and constipation. While in some cases, fibroids may not require treatment; it can however be managed though healthy diets. There are certain foods that can help shrink fibroids, manage symptoms and complications. This, we will be discussing in this article.
Foods that help manage fibroid conditions:
- Fruits and Vegetables: Fruits and vegetables like tomatoes, apples, and cabbage are good food sources for shrinking fibroids because of they contain high fiber content that helps with detoxification process. Fruits and vegetables help remove toxins and other waste materials from your body. Additionally, they contain vitamins good for general health. They can help control weight and reduce excessive estrogen. Eating fruits can help to shrink fibroids.
- Legumes: leguminous crops such as beans and peas are another food item on the list. They contain fiber in sufficient amounts that helps flush out toxins from the body. Legumes also contains properties that help shrink fibroids by regulating hormone balance in women. Legumes like beans and groundnut help to shrink fibroids
- Garlic and Onions: Onions and garlic contain antioxidants that helps protect the body against diseases. They do this by fighting off free radicals capable of causing damage to body cells including increasing the risk of fibroids development. The combo of garlic and onions help to melt or shrink fibroids.
- Non-gluten grains: Carbohydrates rich foods that do not contain gluten are nutrient dense and can help with fibroids shrinking. Non-gluten grains such as brown rice, millet, long grain rice, wild rice and many more contain vitamins and minerals that can help improve overall health and control weight. Brown rice can make fibroids smaller
- Dairy products: Dairy products such as eggs, milk, yoghurt and fish can help with fibroids shrinking. They are a great source of omega 3 fatty acids necessary for optimal health. That’s not all; they contain minerals such as magnesium, calcium and phosphorus that may help control hormonal irregularities that could interfere with women health and their reproductive system. Dairy products like yoghurt is believed to help shrinks fibroids
- Cold water fish: Cold water fish such as sardines, tuna, mackerel and salmon contain essential fatty acids that can help maintain hormonal balance. They also contain anti-inflammatory properties that can help with easing fibroids symptoms. Cold water fishes shrinks fibroids and slows its growth
Other tips that can help manage fibroids development and improve symptoms include:
Avoidance of sugary foods
Engaging in stress management routines
Avoid consumption of red meats and caffeinated products
Reduce blood pressure
Avoid alcohol and smoking
Conclusion: Fibroids are usually not life threaten, sometimes they cause complicated health issues .we advice you seek immediate medical help whenever you notice any changes in your body system.